Measuring Your Kitchen
There are a few steps you can take that will facilitate the discussion and planning during your initial appointment. If you have a digital camera, photos of the existing location of your project can help give us an overview. You can bring the camera and storage (memory) card with you. Bringing in a drawing of the layout of your room(s) is very helpful – generally we need the overall dimensions and location of doors, windows, plumbing, etc. Below is a detailed description of how to measure your kitchen to provide us with useful information.
Some important measurements include the following:
- Measure and record the height and width of all walls.
- Take detailed width measurements of each wall:
- Start at one corner and measure to the edge of the nearest opening (excluding any trim).
- Measure the width of the opening (including trim).
- Measure from the second side of the opening (excluding trim) to the next opening or wall corner.
- Repeat this process across the entire wall.
- Add up the measurements and make sure they agree with the overall wall width.
- Take detailed height measurements:
- Measure from the floor to the bottom of each window or the top of each door.
- Measure from the bottom to the top of each window.
- Measure from the top of the window or door to the ceiling.
- Repeat this process until all opening heights are recorded.
- Make sure each set of measurements agrees with the overall wall height.
- Use your measurements to make a rough sketch of your room (using a grid or graph paper is helpful).
- Indicate the locations of heat ducts, plumbing, gas lines, electrical outlets and switches on your sketch.
- Note the clearance required for door swings.
Before plans are finalized and cabinets or countertops are ordered, we will come out to measure and verify details.
Cabinets etc. offers a wide variety of stylish hardware to complete the look of your kitchen or bathroom renovation. Offering the industry’s top brands like Jeffrey Alexander, and Top Knobs, you’re sure to find just what you’re looking for! Visit our showroom for a complete selection of the latest trends in cabinet design in Castro Valley, Ashland, Alameda County, and Hayward, CA.